Monday 25 July 2011

Fig leaf surprise

After much pruning and the tree not taking the slightest hint that its endless growth was unnecessary, I arranged to have our fig tree chopped down last winter. Holes were drilled into the stump and poison poured in. But sure as can be, a few months later it started sprouting up again.
My one regret about chopping it down the last time was that the leaves could have been put to good use, even though the fruits never fully ripened.
Before I attack it again, I'm going to harvest some of its leaves. 
Most fig leaf recipes involve steaming fish wrapped in the leaves. It's also possible to make a variation on stuffed vine leaves.
But the simplicity of this Fig Leaf Liqueur recipe caught my eye. Depending on the results, we could even be making a start on this year's homemade Christmas presents.

No comments:

Post a Comment