Sunday 26 September 2010

Knit Minder for iPhone app review

Like most people, I expect, my joy at creating my first scarves and hat quickly turned to dismay when I stepped things up and tried to knit more complex garments. I battled through to make a girl's jacket, but have temporarily abandoned two cardigans for myself. Taking on complex challenges can be very disheartening. 

With some quick knits for babies required, I've gone back to basics - and it's all to the good. Just a few simple knits here and there - I’ve just made this scarf for Mark on a start-knitting-and-see basis - and my confidence and stitch accuracy have improved noticeably. But I can’t take much credit for what are, so far, very simple knits.

Mostly, I’ve been depending on a great little iPhone app called Knit Minder. It’s a step up from the basic StitchMinder I tried before. You can log patterns, pins and yarns, colours, dye lot and other information from the band and keep a log of project progress. Far easier than keeping the yarn band to hand for reference. 


Helpfully, you can replicate elements of a pattern you've entered before and select any such pattern, yarn and needle info across projects. Listings simply pop up when you're on the relevant tab. Colour swatches for yarns are also shown and you can take or import a photo of your project or the yarn used. Multiple counters are supported - keeping track of how many rows I've knitted ranks as one of the most useful aspects for me and saves me jotting things down on easily lost scraps of paper. This feature is also supported in StitchMinder and other knitting apps.  

Given my wont to go off tack and create something different from what the pattern is guiding me to, such a prompt to stay on course is ideal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment