Saturday 25 September 2010

Baby knitting boom

It is proving a bumper year for babies among friends and family. Some are having their first; some a second and my brother and sister-in-law surprising us all by rounding off the year with twins. It’s going to be a hectic Christmas. 

What a great excuse to take up needle and pins, though. 

Armed with Debbie Bliss’ reassuring straightforward Baby Knits For Beginners, I’ve so far tackled some very cute but rather angular-looking baby boots. Cunningly, the pattern has been designed to allow duffers such as me to create a volumetric shape out of a single knitted piece and with just a single pair of needles. Non-knitters: you might think asking for a simple pair of socks is a reasonable request of a knitting newbie - foot-shaped garments are anything but. 

Having made one cute pair, I think I’ll make another but see whether I can find a way to round off the stubby toes a little more. I like the idea of planning out the pattern on graph paper though. It appeals to the technical drawing part of my brain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment